JDC Entwine is now accepting applications for an LGBTQ+ Jewish Leadership Trip to Argentina & Uruguay. This inaugural experience will explore the unique Jewish and LGBTQ+ communities of these two countries. October 22nd – 29th, 2017. The deadline to apply is August 15.
With this initiative, JDC Entwine affirms its commitment to building a movement of change makers that is inclusive and reflective of the diversity of the Jewish people and seeks to make a meaningful impact on global Jewish needs and international humanitarian issues, starting in locations that serve as beacons of Jewish inclusion globally.
About the Trip
Argentina and Uruguay both serve as leaders in LGBTQ+ issues in Latin America. Uruguay played host to the 2016 LGBTI Human Rights Conference and was named the most LGBT friendly country in Latin America. In 2010, Argentina became the second country in Latin America to legalize same sex marriage. This unique trip will explore how the Jewish communities of these two progressive countries have worked to integrate LGBTQ+ rights into their social agendas in recent decades.
- Explore Buenos Aires, home to the largest Jewish community in Latin America, and Montevideo, a smaller but equally vibrant community.
- Learn about JDC’s critical interventions during the 2001 economic crisis in the areas of medical and welfare assistance, jobs training, elder care, and beyond.
- Engage with Argentine peers through discussions with JAG (Judios Argentinos Gays (Jewish Argentine Gays), an organization established with the assistance of JDC in 2004 to promote inclusion and diversity within and outside the Jewish community
- Gain an in depth understanding of challenges to equal opportunity & self-expression in Latin America at DAIA, the Delegacion de Asociaciones Israelitas Argentinas, which aims to fight discrimination & protect human rights
- Enjoy an inclusive Shabbat experience at Comunidad NCI-Emanu El, the first religious institution to host a same-sex Jewish marriage in Latin America
- Dance tango, drink Malbec, enjoy traditional asado (BBQ) & experience Fuerza Bruta
- Provide spaces for Jewish LGBTQ+ individuals to explore both their Judaism and LGBTQ+ identities with each other by taking part of an intensive cohort experience.
The trip cost includes:
- Local transportation within/between Argentina & Uruguay
- Hotel Accommodations (note: the participation fee covers accommodations in double rooms; participants may elect to stay in a single room for an additional fee)
- Site visits, briefings, tours, etc.
- Medical and emergency evacuation insurance
Participants will be expected to submit a non-refundable deposit of $1,000 upon notification of selection.
Final payments (which may vary based on individual subsidies) will be due two months before departure.
To learn more click here for a FAQ.
Flight details: Participants will be responsible for booking their own round-trip airfare to Montevideo and from Buenos Aires. Travel logistics details will be shared upon notification of acceptance.
Inside Jewish Argentina & Uruguay 2015 alumna, Nicky Auster blogged about her experience here.
About JDC in Argentina & Uruguay: Argentina is home to Latin America’s largest Jewish population, the 7th largest Jewish population in the world. A prosperous community for most of its history, which dates back to the Spanish and Portuguese Inquisitions, Argentina’s Jews were devastated by the 2001 economic crisis that turned middle-class families into “the new poor” virtually overnight.
JDC responded immediately and efficiently to the Jewish community’s sizeable needs, leveraging decades-long partnerships to expand existing relief services to aid those hardest hit by the crisis. More than 10 years later, with the local Jewish institutions’ overall health largely restored, JDC has resumed its historic role in Argentina as a community-development expert.