Gay-Straight Alliance Network – Fresno, CA
Job Title: Central Valley Program Manager
Reports To: Rhina Ramos, Director of California Programs
Status: Full-time, Exempt
Salary: Salary commensurate with experience, plus generous benefits package including health, dental, vision, and retirement benefits
Central Valley Regional Program Manager
GSA Network is guided by our vision of full equality and social justice for all LGBTQ people. We have developed a model of grassroots organizing that trains youth activists to understand and challenge multiple systems of oppressions, in order to develop LGBTQ and allied leaders with a vision for broad social justice. Grounded in this model, GSA Network is building the GSA movement by providing resources, training, and grassroots organizing support to GSA clubs working to educate schools about LGBTQ issues and change public policy as well as to emerging GSA Networks in states around the U.S. As leader of the National Association of GSA Networks we bring together youth and adult leaders from state and regional GSA Networks to share best practices for GSA organizing. As a national leader in the LGBT, safe schools, and education justice movements, this is an exciting time for GSA Network as we expand our impact in California and nationally, and grow our team. You can learn more about our work at www.gsanetwork.org.
GSA Network seeks a unique, experienced manager who is committed to build and strengthen GSA Network’s organizing, base-building, and campaign work. GSA Network is seeking a mid to senior level community organizer who will play a critical part in taking GSA Network’s involvement in the Education Justice movement to a deeper level of involvement through our participation in multiple campaigns related to educational justice and school discipline disparities.
Located in Fresno, CA, the Central Valley Program Manager is responsible for oversight of our Central Valley office, leading the programmatic work in the region. This position is also in charge of mobilizing youth leaders in grassroots organizing and policy advocacy. Key responsibilities include grassroots organizing, developing youth leaders with a youth development framework, policy advocacy, project management, event coordination, coalition building, supervision of youth and volunteers, and oversight of the office’s one-person day-to-day operations. Supported by The California Endowment, the Central Valley Program Manager will work directly with on-going regional efforts in building and sustaining healthy communities (Boys and Men of Color Initiative (BMoC) and Building Healthy Communities (BHC).
The ideal candidate will have experience managing a team of organizers, interns, and youth leaders working across a variety of communities and issues. Strong candidates should have a proven track record of developing youth leaders and mobilizing large numbers of youth members to actions, meetings and other campaign activities. The ideal candidate for this position will understand the importance of integrating strong youth leadership development principles with the need of bottom up organizing structures that will engage and mobilize large numbers of GSA youth members in our work each year. In addition, this Program Manager is responsible for regional planning and program implementation throughout the Central Valley California region. The Central Valley Program Manager works directly with lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, and questioning (LGBTQ) and straight ally youth and adult advisors involved in Gay-Straight Alliance clubs throughout the Central Valley in California to provide training and support to student leaders in grassroots school-based organizing, program implementation throughout their region, and support the “behind the scenes” planning to enable youth to be leaders of the work.
- Working with the Finance and Administrative Director, manage the day-to-day administrative office of the the regional office located in Fresno, California, including monitoring of office budget and expenses
- Provide technical assistance to LGBTQ youth of color leaders and GSA clubs engaged in campaign organizing in GSA Network’s current campaign efforts
- With the support of the Director of CA Programs, lead strategy development and implementation for Central Valley California coalitions and local GSA campaign organizing (BHC and BoMC)
- Provide outreach, support, and technical assistance for GSAs across the Central Valley through email, phone calls, and on-site visits to GSA meetings
- Develop and coordinate Central Valley Youth Council, a youth leadership group that leads programming throughout the region; provide support and leadership development training for Youth Council members
- Organize and conduct annual 3-4 day GSA Activist Camp
- Organize and conduct regional leadership trainings, peer education and train-the-trainer programs, and networking events for LGBTQ and straight ally youth
- Represent GSA Network on the BMoC and BHC Coalitions and other collaborations
- Assist LGBTQ youth of color leaders and GSAs in developing action plans, designing outreach strategies, coalition building and conducting social, educational, and advocacy activities at their schools using Community Organizing principles
- Work with program staff to develop program materials, resources, and curriculum on specific topics related to GSAs and educational justice organizing
- Recruit and supervise volunteers and interns for Central Valley California region
- Present workshops at regional and national conferences, as needed
- Participate in program evaluation and lead design of strategic planning of the region
- Maintain database records on GSAs, individual members, and allies
- Manage the Central Valley social media presence (ie: Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, etc)
- Manage relationships with local reporters and coordinate with GSA Network’s communications department around youth media training, organizational messaging, and campaign media strategy
Qualifications for Successful Candidacy:
- 5 years direct experience with non-profits, grassroots community organizing, coalition-building, and managing single-office operations
- Ability to relate to LGBTQ youth and straight allies, particularly youth of color
- 4 years job experience in program planning and implementation
- Strong analytical, planning, and organizational skills
- Excellent time management skills, attention to detail, and ability to manage multiple projects
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- Experience doing public speaking and conducting trainings
- Proven leadership skills, including the ability to mentor youth and structure a youth-led program
- Ability to work independently with efficiency, flexibility, and good humor
- Valid California Driver’s License, clean driving record, reliable access to a car with insurance
- Ability to meet GSA Network’s criminal background check standards
- Demonstrated commitment to social justice, anti-oppression work, and LGBTQ rights
- Demonstrated ability to work both independently (with a supervisor in another city) and as part of a team, with people from a variety of different racial, ethnic, socio-economic, educational, religious, sexual, gender, and generational backgrounds
- Bilingual (Spanish and English or relevant regional language) a plus
On the ground familiarity with the Central Valley region in California a plus.
Send cover letter, resume and salary history to CVManager@gsanetwork.org or mail to: Job Search, GSA Network, 1550 Bryant Street #600, San Francisco, CA 94103. Please indicate job title in the subject line of your e-mail. No phone calls or faxes please. Only those applicants who have submitted complete applications and selected for an interview will receive a response.
Deadline for applications is September 10. The position will be filled as soon as the appropriate candidate is found. It is therefore recommended that you submit your materials as promptly as possible. The ideal start date is by the end of September.
Equal Opportunity Employer:
GSA Network is an equal opportunity employer and encourages applications from youth, people of color, people of all sexual orientations and gender identities, and people with disabilities.
For more information about GSA Network please visit our website: www.gsanetwork.org
The post Central Valley Regional Program Manager appeared first on Seasons of Pride.